Friday, November 25, 2011

... Just kidding!!

Today is the day after Thanksgiving, I am 37 1/2 weeks pregnant....and we thought we were maybe going to have a baby today!  However, it was a false alarm.  Here is the story:

Started off making me wonder when I went to the bathroom at my in-laws at the end of a nice Thanksgiving Day, and when I wiped, was pretty sure I saw my mucus plug.  There wasn't any blood, I wasn't contracting, so I didn't think too much of it, but made a mental note to call my OB in the morning.  So, when I woke up this morning, I felt like I had wet my pants a little....more of a dribble than gush of urine or, after changing my pants (twice) thought I should call the clinic for sure and call Patrick.  Of course, office is closed for holiday's, but finally got the on call doctor to give us a call back and she told us to go into the hospital to check and see if it is my amniotic fluid.  OH MY GOSH!  We were thinking, is this really it?? It started feeling real when we packed up all of our bags and things we may need if we were going to be in the hospital for several days.  Also, I'm thinking I was going to do some Christmas decorating today, I needed to finish laundry, take a shower, etc :)  Funny how i need to remember that my plans really are tentative at this point! 

So, we drove to the hospital, again, I really was thinking most of the time that they would send us home....but they took us back to a room, put a fetal monitor on, got me in a gown, the whole works!  I was like, whoa now this is getting real!  Anyway, they did a few tests, and after the first one the nurse really thought it was amniotic fluid (they like babies to be delivered within about 12 hour window of water breaking, even though my water was more 'leaking')  So, they would just start inducing me if my contractions weren't starting....but, after a few more tests, looks like it was my mucus plug melting that was making me feel the leaking, no amniotic fluid just yet.  However, they did say I was having pretty regular contractions, about every 5 minutes for about a minute long.  So, that's pretty good, I just wasn't feeling them. So, they sent us home saying that they think he will come soon (of course, I'm thinking like soon today or next week??)  and to just wait and see if my contractions get stronger. 

Anyway, it was a bit of a false alarm, but I guess we will be even more ready when we actually do have to go in....which will be soon no matter what---even if it's 3 weeks from now!

Happy Thanksgiving to you all!  We definitely have been counting our blessings and can't wait to hold this little guy in our arms soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment